How do I get my prescriptions filled?
If you have a prescription that needs to be filled, you should take it to one of the pharmacies on the pharmacy list that PHC sent you. If you do not have the copy we sent you, you can get a copy of our contracted pharmacies from the section of this web site titled "provider directories" or you can call the PHC Member Services Department.
Getting your prescription filled
You should never have to pay for a prescription that is covered and medically necessary. If you are having a problem getting a prescription or you had to pay for a prescription, you should call our Member Services Department right away. Our phone number is (800) 863-4155.
PHC only covers brand name drugs when a generic equivalent drug is not available. However, if there is a medical reason why a generic drug may not be used, a request for authorization must be submitted to PHC indicating the medical reason.
Below are some tips on getting prescriptions filled more quickly and easily:
• Always present all of your health insurance cards, including your PHC ID card and your Medi-Cal card.
• Find a pharmacy that you like and when possible get your prescriptions filled there.
• Listen and follow the pharmacist's instructions about how often you should take your medicine.
• Call ahead to your pharmacy when you need a refill. Don't wait until you run out of medicine. You should call when 75% of your prescription is gone.
If you have a problem getting your prescription filled, you should:
• Ask to speak to the head pharmacist or pharmacy manager.
• Call our PHC Members Services Department at (800) 863-4155.