You can use non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) when you cannot get to your
medical appointment by car, bus, train, or taxi, and the plan pays for your medical or physical
NEMT is an ambulance, litter van or wheelchair van. NEMT is not a car, bus, or taxi. PHC
allows the lowest cost NEMT for your medical needs when you need a ride to your appointment.
That means, for example, if a wheelchair van is able to transport you, PHC will not pay for an
NEMT can be used when:
- You can’t use a bus, taxi, car or van to get to your appointment;
- Requested by a PHC provider; and
- Approved in advance by PHC.
To ask for NEMT, please call PHC’s Care Coordination Department at (800) 809-1350 at least
one business day (Monday-Friday) before your appointment. Or call as soon as you can when
you have an urgent appointment. Please have your member ID card ready when you call.
Limits of NEMT:
You may use NEMT if you meet the terms above.
What Doesn’t Apply?
Getting to your medical appointment by car, bus, taxi, or plane. Transportation will not be
provided if the service is not covered by PHC. A list of covered services is in this member
If you are being taken from a hospital to a Skilled Nursing Facility (also called Long Term Care)
your provider does not need Prior Approval from PHC. If the transportation is for another
reason, your provider needs Prior Approval from PHC.
Non-emergency medical transportation is covered with Prior Approval from PHC for transportation to any covered Medi-Cal service. This includes some services that are not provided by PHC. Some examples are:
- Specialty mental health care provided by your Home County (if prescribed by your specialty mental health provider)
- Dental care provided by your dentist (if prescribed by your dental provider)
- Dialysis provided at a dialysis center (if prescribed by your provider)
Cost to Member:
There is no cost when transportation is authorized by PHC.