Smile California is the new name for your Medi-Cal Dental Benefit. It used to be called Denti-Cal. Medi-Cal Dental offers many preventive and restorative services for children and adults. These services include exams, x-rays, cleanings, fluoride treatment, fillings, crowns, and more. Children and teens can get 2 regular dental visits each year.
Visit the Smile California website for more information on adult services as well as tips for good oral health - Smile California
If you have a dentist, call them to find out if they accept Medi-Cal Dental. If you do not have a dentist, here are 2 ways to find a dentist:
- Call the Smile California toll-free number at (800) 322-6384. A customer service representative will help you find a dentist. If you need an interpreter, ask for interpreter services when you call.
- Look on the Smile California website for a dentist in your area - Smile California
Taking Care of Your Family's Dental Health
Taking care of your teeth and mouth are important parts of being healthy. But do you know that tooth decay, or cavities, are one of the most common health problems? Dental problems are the most common reason that children miss school. By the time adults reach their 30's about 8 out of 10 have at least 1 cavity. Dental health problems are also linked to other health problems like heart disease and diabetes.
Children's Dental Health Tips
- Start cleaning teeth as soon as the first tooth comes in.
- For babies use a clean, damp cloth to clean the teeth. Use a small, soft toothbrush when more teeth come in.
- Start using a little bit of fluoride tooth paste at 2 years old. Fluoride helps build strong teeth.
- Watch your young children brushing their teeth and make sure they spit out toothpaste and rinse well with water when they are done.
- Take your child to the dentists at least 1 time each year. The dentist may want to see your child more often.
- Talk to your child's doctor or dentist about fluoride varnish or supplements to keep your child's teeth healthy. Fluoride varnish and supplement are part of your Medi-Cal benefit.
Learn more about protecting your child's teeth - Oral Health Basics
Adult Dental Health Tips
- See your dentist at least 1 time each year. Your dentist may want to see you more often.
- If you have dentures, you still need to see your dentist 1 time each year.
- Brush your teeth and floss 2 to 3 times every day. Use a fluoride toothpaste to keep your teeth healthy and strong.
- If you take care of older adults, help them brush and floss their teeth.
- Tobacco products are bad for your teeth, gums and mouth. If you smoke or use other tobacco products, think about quitting. Call PHC Care Coordination for help finding resources in your area to help you quit smoking. The phone number is (800) 809-1350. You can also call the California Smoker's HelpLine at (800) 662-8887, (800-NO-BUTTS), for telephone counseling.
Learn more about protecting your teeth - Oral Health Basics for Adults