Provider Recruitment Program (PRP)
The Provider Recruitment Program (PRP) was created as a pilot in September 2014 with Partnership HealthPlan of California (PHC) board-approved funding for our 14-county service area. To date, more than $8.2 million has been approved for the PRP to support hiring of primary care providers.
In six years, the program has supported 404 offers of acceptance (188 primary care physicians and 216 advanced practice clinicians) with program incentives at a rate of nearly six offers accepted per month to enhance partner organization recruitment efforts to meet access to care needs of PHC membership.
To increase PHC member access to primary care providers and BH professionals across our region, which includes many rural counties. (Program does not include support for dentists)
2021 Program Update
In order to meet the future access needs of our members PHC is enhancing primary care program benefits, adding obstetrics/gynecology (OB/GYN) providers, and several behavioral health (BH) professionals to qualify for program support in January 2021. There will also be a capped number of psychiatric providers (psychiatrist, psychiatric advanced practice clinicians (nurse practitioner/physician assistants (NP/PA)) approved for program support. The enhancements and additions are intended to further support partner organization forecasted needs, while retaining recruited providers longer term. The additional of behavioral health licensed clinicians is intended to support PHC's provision of behavioral health services to all members and allow for primary care provider sites to deliver integrated care to PHC membership.
Primary Care Providers (practicing in family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, and obstetrics/gynecology)
Program Highlights / Incentives Available:
- $50,000 signing bonus for physician candidates
- $25,000 signing bonus for nurse practitioners/physician assistants (NP/PA)
- $5,000 moving allowance match
- $500 site visit match
- $5,000 extended family moving allowance
Program Criteria for Provider Support:
- Primary care candidates must be filling a primary care role.
- If the candidate is currently practicing, they must be from outside PHC's 14-county footprint.
- Providers in training or residency programs within our footprint qualify for program support
- Sites interested in connecting to physician residency programs to discuss hosting physician residents can contact WFD@partnershiphp.org to learn more
- Requests for support must be made before formal offers have been made to candidates. Requests for the $500 site visit match must be made before the site visit has occurred.
- OB/GYN physician candidates must be open to providing primary care services to PHC members*.
- Psychiatric providers must provide both in-person and telehealth care services to PHC membership- specific to this provider.
- Participating organizations must be contracted with PHC for recruiting individual providers who are credentialed to join PHC's network and treat membership. The recruited providers must accept an offer of employment consistent with the terms outlined in PHC's Provider Recruitment Program grant agreement.
*Special requirements for OBGYN/PRP support.
Behavioral Health Professionals
Program Highlights / Incentives Available:
- $5,000 signing bonus available for below licensed BH professionals with special skill/specialty (ie. Bilingual, or from or connected with a culturally, ethnically, or racially underrepresented community, or specific specialty training/experience):
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor
- Licensed Clinical Psychologists
- $2,000 signing bonus for Certified Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Counselors
- $2,500 signing bonus for Bilingual Certified Substance Use Disorder Counselors
Program Criteria for BH Professional Support
- The program is available for successfully recruited candidates employed with an organization (i.e., not solo providers) that is currently contracted with PHC or with Beacon Health Options.
- If the candidate is currently practicing, they must be from outside our 14-county footprint. Providers in training programs within our footprint qualify for program support.
- Certified counselors, in place practicing as registered counselors who become certified or candidates hired as certified counselors would qualify for support; registered drug counselors are not eligible for support.
- Requests for support must be made before formal offers have been made to candidates.
- Bilingual candidates must be bilingual in Spanish or another language needed within the PHC network.
- Licensed BH professionals lacking required specialty training for program support at time of hire, may be approved for program incentives, but must complete the selected training within 18 months of official start date. Proof of completion of the training must be provided to PHC in order to process the bonus payment.
- To qualify for BH recruitment program support, BH services may be provided via telehealth as long as the supported candidate resides in, and is certified/licensed by California.
- Program to support Certified Substance Use Disorder Counselors who plan to be credentialed to provide SUD Services in PHC's Wellness and Recovery Program Counties (Humboldt, Lassen, Mendocino, Modoc, Shasta, Siskiyou, or Solano).
Please contact the Provider Recruitment team with any questions, concerns, or requests about the PRP. We are happy to be working with our partners to bring talented providers to our communities, and we are eager to assist you.